& Hermes Atoll (27° 50' N - 175° 50' W) was first named on April
26, 1822 when two English whaling ships, the Pearl and Hermes, were
wrecked there during a storm. Since then, the small islands have
had few visitors. In the early 1900's the oyster beds (Pinctada
margaritifera) were harvested in order to make pearl buttons for
clothing. The oyster beds quickly ran out and since then few
vessels ever approach the atoll. The Townsend Cromwell (predecessor
to the Oscar Elton Sette) has supported marine mammal research on
the atoll, cleaned up/researched marine debris, and has conducted
lobster studies in its waters.
External link to more Information: Reef Quest's Pearl & Hermes Atoll.